Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) 2012
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India awards Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) under Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) to the students who are within the top 1% at Class XII examination conducted by the Board during the academic session ending March/April 2012.
- The candidates of Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi who have passed Class XII examination2012 and are within top 1% (Cut-off score- 471 marks excluding 6th Additional subject) are eligible for the scholarship.
- Letters to eligible Candidates along with “ Advisory Note to the Candidate for Eligibility in Scholarshipfor Higher Education (SHE) Component under INSPIRE Scheme” have been sent to the school fromwhere they studied Class XII during the academic session ending March/April 2012. The candidates may collect the same from the school Principal. Performance in top 1% in Class XII Board Examination and enrolment into education in Basic and Natural Science courses at B.Sc./Integrated M.Sc. or M.S. levels qualify eligibility automatically for Scholarship for Higher Education of GOI valued at Rs. 80,000 per year for five years.
- If enrolled into Bachelor or Integrated Master’s level programmes in Basic and Natural Science courses(like Mathematics or Statistics or Physics or Chemistry or Life Sciences (Botany and Zoology), in any University or College in India recognized by UGC, India, the candidate is advised to register for Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) through on-line registration click here or through an application to the Department of Science and Technology click here by downloading the application and attaching this Advisory Note and avail the eligibility for scholarship.
For all Details of the scholarship scheme click here
Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) relatequestion and answers
- What is SHE?
Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) is a component program under Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) program, which is a flagship scheme of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, to engage young talents for the study of Science and Technology and pursue research as a career. SHE aims to augment youth to undertake higher education in Science programmes by providing scholarships to deserving students. Under this scheme SHE, 10,000 scholarships, each valued at Rs. 80,000/- are announced annually for students pursuing Bachelors and Masters level courses in Basic and Natural Sciences.
- Eeligibility criteria for availing SHE
- Students with aggregate marks within top 1% of their Class XII examination of any State/ Central Board in India are eligible. In addition, the student must be pursuing courses in Natural and Basic Sciences at the B.Sc. or Integrated M.Sc. level. Natural and Sciences include Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology and Earth Sciences. Courses other than these subjects (such as Engineering Sciences, Computer Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Electronic Sciences and Medical
- and Bio-medical Sciences) are NOT included in the current scheme. The percentage cutoff marks of various States/ Central Boards is given here. (LINK to TABLE of CUTOFF MARKS)
- Those students who have secured ranks in the JEE of IIT, AIEEE, CBSEMedical (within top 10000 ranks), and are presently pursuing Natural and Basic Science courses in India.
- Students pursuing Integrated M.S. courses at IISER, NISER and Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Basic Sciences, Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) scholars and International Olympiad medalists pursuing Bachelor/ Master level courses in Natural Sciences.
Each candidate will receive annual scholarship @ total value Rs.60,000 in cash.
All the SHE scholars are required to undertake summer research projects under an active researcher in any recognized research centers across India. A summer time attachment fee of Rs.20,000 will be paid to the mentoring institution for undertaking summer time project.
- tenure of INSPIRE-SHE Selected candidates will be supported for a maximum period of five years starting 1st year course in B.Sc., B.Sc. (Hons) and integrated course leading to M.S. or M.Sc. Continuation of the scholarship for the selected candidates is based on satisfactory performance of the examinations conducted by the University and certified by the institution imparting education
- age limit for applying to SHE The candidates should be 17 to 22 years of age at the time of application.
- When should you apply for SHE Only candidates who have completed their XII and are currently pursuing B.Sc., B.Sc. (Hons) or integrated courses leading to M.S. or M.Sc degrees in Natural and Basic Sciences should apply. The call for applications is advertised in major newspapers. Also check this website: www.inspire-dst.gov.in for regular updates.
Address for sending completed application forms
Completed applications should be sent by Ordinary Post only within 90 days
from the date of the advertisement in Newspapers.
It should be addressed to
National Institute of Science,
Technology & Development studies (NISTADS),
Dr K S Krishnan Marg,
New Delhi - 110012. The envelope should mention on top “Application for INSPIRE Scholarship – 2008, 2009 and 2010” program. For online submission of application, kindly visit the website: www.inspire-dst.gov.in.
The online applicants should also submit a hardcopy of the applications with all attested documents to the NISTADS. DO NOT send the application forms to the DST.
As we receive a large number of applications, the selection process on an average takes at least three to four months from the date of advertisement. The list of selected candidates will be announced on our website, followed by an official letter from the DST to your permanent address.
- If you have not received your offer letter even after one month of the announcement of results, please contact DST office at these telephone numbers: 011- 26590487 (Ms. Rupashree Dash) or 011-26590268 (Dr. S.V. Prasanna).
- The selected candidates will receive their annual scholarships in at least two installments (2 x Rs. 30000/ per annum) through State Bank of India via the SMART CARD mode.
- What is SMART CARD Smart card is like any other ATM card specially designed by the State Bank of India to disperse the scholarships to the selected candidates. The scholars can withdraw their scholarship from the SBI ATMs across India.
- Is SBI account needed to operate SMART card It is NOT necessary for the Scholar to have any account with the SBI. The SMART card is operable in ATMs of any bank across the country.
- documents needed for SMART card
As soon as you receive your offer letter from the DST, the following documents should be sent by the selected candidates.
- Filled e-Z application form. (This form is usually sent by the DST to the candidates along with the offer letter. In case you have not received the e-Z application form, please visit our website to download one.)
- Self attested copy of Proof of Residence (Permanent address)
- Self attested copy of Proof of Photo Identity
In case of scholars pursuing their second or third year B.Sc/ B.Sc (Hons) courses, in addition to the above documents, completed endorsement forms along with self attested copies of your first year (or second year) marks card should be sent. (The blank endorsement form is usually sent by the DST to the candidates along with the offer letter.
In case you have not received the form, please visit our website to download one.) Please do not forget to self attest these documents. Non-attested documents shall be rejected and will inevitably delay the issue of the SMART card. Also write your INSPIRE registration number on top of the documents you are sending.
- Registration number
The Registration number here refers to the Scholar’s INSPIRE/SHE registration number provided by the DST (and NOT the candidate’s B.Sc. or M.Sc. or University’s registration number). The INSPIRE Registration number is mentioned in the DST Secretary’s offer letter. It is a serial number followed by year of passing of your XII examination and is found usually in the top left hand side of the letter.
- documents needed for Identity and Address proofs
The list of documents that are acceptable for the address and identity proof is
You need to provide ONLY ONE document each for address and identity proof. Please do not forget to Self-attest these documents.
- You can send completed e-Z and endorsement formsat following address
Completed e-Z forms along with the requisite documents should be sent to the following
Ms. Rupashree Dash/ Dr. S.V. Prasanna
Department of Science and Technology,
Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road,
Please send these documents by Speed Post.
- If you have sent your e-Z forms and all the necessary documents to the DST but you
have not received my SMART card
As this scheme receive a large number of applications, the process of issuing the SMART card on an average takes at least two to three months from the date of receipt of the e-Z forms and the documents. The DST wishes to state that it is making its best efforts to issue the SMART card and disperse the Scholarship as soon as possible. In case you have not received your SMART card even after three months please contact the SBI or DST.
- Next step if you have received your SMART card
Please fill the acknowledgement form we have enclosed and send it to
- DST and
- SBI as soon as possible. Only after the receiving the acknowledgement receipts, the SBI will release the scholarship.
- If you have received your SMART card but it shows zero balance when you wanted to withdraw money
The State Bank of India has been instructed to charge the SMART CARDS @ Rs 60,000 per year per Card/Scholar. The detailed list of scholarships that have been released to the INSPIRE scholars can be found here. (Link to www.inspiredst. gov.in/Recharge.html.)
- Withdraw money limit from SMART card
Each SMART CARD has a maximum limit of Rs 50,000 at any given time. Scholars are therefore advised to make withdrawals after each re-charge and leave a maximum balance of Rs 20,000 prior to next re-charging. This helps SBI re-charge your Smart Card.
- If you have lost your SMART card and its PIN number
For issues related to loss of SMART CARD, loss of T-pin Number etc., scholars may directly contact
Shri Sanjay Kaul,
State Bank of India,
New Delhi - 110001
Or Fax: 011 -23748017.
- If you have received your Scholarship for the first/second year. Documents that you
should send to receive your scholarship for the second/third year are:
You should send the following documents to continue the scholarship.
- Performance report in the form of Endorsement certificate signed and attested by the Head of the Institution and
- Self attested copy of first or second year marks sheet of your B.Sc. annual/Semester examination. The Head of the Institution should clearly mention whether the scholar’s performance is Excellent or Satisfactory or not satisfactory and strike out whichever is not applicable.
- Vice-Chancellor/Registrar/Dean of Science in case of Universities and
- Principal/Vice-Principal, Proctor and Officer-in- Charge in case of colleges. Attestation of the endorsement forms by officers other than those mentioned above (such as Head of the Department, Student welfare officers, etc) will NOT be considered.
The Head of the Institution here refers to
- If you are an INSPIRE Scholar and you have sent all the relevant documents for the
continuation of your Scholarship for the second/third year. You are yet to receive your
second/third year scholarship amount.
If your SMART card has not been recharged even after two months of sending the relevant documents, please contact the DST. Generally DST will withhold the scholarship due to any of the following reasons:
- Scholar has not submitted his/her Performance Reports
- Poor performance in your previous B.Sc. or M.Sc. annual examinations
- Scholar has not informed about M.Sc. enrollment (as applicable) The scholarship will be released as soon as the above mentioned concerns have been addressed.
- If you an INSPIRE Scholar and have completed your B.Sc in Natural Sciences
and you wish to pursue your M.Sc. in the same stream. Documents that you should send
to extend your Scholarship are:
For continuation of Scholarship at any stage at B.Sc. or M.Sc. level, you need to consistently perform better and should be within the top 5% of the University level examination in the current course. After three years of B.Sc. program, students may join M.Sc. course (Natural and Basic Sciences only) anywhere in the country and provide us with
(a) Proof of enrollment in the M.Sc. course (in Natural and Basic Sciences) and
(b) Performance report (endorsement certificate) of your B.Sc. course to avail the continuation of the scholarship.
- If you are an INSPIRE scholar currently pursuing your second/third year B.Sc.
course and you have availed your first/second year scholarship. You have taken one year
break from your studies. Documents that you should produce to avail your scholarship
for your second/third years
In an event of a break in enrolment for the next academic year, the DST wishes to state that the scholarship will be continued only in exceptional cases. In any case, the total duration of the scholarship will remain the same (three years for B.Sc. course and two years for the subsequent M.Sc. course). You should produce the following documents:
- A letter clearly addressing the reasons for the break in studies,
- If the break is due to medical reasons, a valid medical certificate
- If you are an INSIPRE scholar and you are currently availing my scholarship. You have migrated to different course/different University.
Migration to a different course within the scope of Natural and Basic Sciences is allowed only in exceptional cases. In case you have changed your course, say for example, from B.Sc. (Physics) to B.Sc. (Chemistry), you are eligible for SHE provided you send the relevant documents such as
- Enrollment certificate signed by the Head of the Institution and
- Endorsement certificate (as applicable)] to the DST. The total duration of the scholarship will not change in any case. In case of migration to a different University, please send
- Enrollment certificate, attested by the Head of University to the DST as soon as possible.
A copy of the Migration certificate and
- Details of Summer Projects to be undertaken by all the INSPIRE scholars
The main objective of INSPIRE/SHE program is to encourage young students to pursue Research as a career. In order to inculcate scientific values and develop scientific temper, the scholars are required to enroll in a Summer Research Project every year in recognized research centers of their choice across India, preferably outside their parent institutions.
The DST provides Rs.20000/- per annum to the mentoring institutions as a bench fee to accommodate the INSPIRE scholar. After completion of the project, the candidate should send the following documents to the DST: (a) A letter attested by the Research Guide and Head of Institution where the scholar is enrolled for the project and (b) A brief report outlining the objectives and results of his/her project.